Friday, July 10, 2009

Is technology dumbing us down?...

Today I read the following article for my Web 2.0 class. www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/09128092341.htm The premise of the article is that while technology increases visual intelligence, it impedes the development of critical thinking. Patricia Greenfield, the professor who authored the study sites many examples of how multi-tasking with technology in the classroom impedes learning instead of enhancing it. On the one hand I agree with some of her points. For example, she states that "multitasking prevents people from getting a deeper understanding of information." In the study, it was noted that students who were given internet access during class learned far more than students who did not have internet access. While I agree with the initial assertion, the logical question here is: how is that any different from a student who is reading or doing other homework while the teacher is talking? Unfortunately, she then goes on to say that "wiring classrooms for internet access does not enhance learning". When I viewed this article using diigo, the comments were very strongly against the article. Many people were concerned that administrators would take this article out of context and use it to justify cuts in technology spending. I have to admit, the first thoughts that went through my mind were in the same vain. Here was my simple excuse for not having to keep up with all of this new technology. After reading the entire article and browsing other people's opinions about the study, I know that I need to step out of the Dark Ages and jump into this new Read/Write web. I hope you'll join me.

No comments: