Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Interesting questions for the classroom

Tonight I read a post on Kim G's blog about learning styles and multiple intelligences. She mentioned the book by Dr. Daniel Willingham, Why Don't Students Like School? http://givenk.blogspot.com/2009/07/so-i-guess-everything-ive-been-doing.html I too have spent time trying to consider/incorporate learning styles and multiple intelligences into my classroom. I think that it would be worth my time to take a look at this book that Kim recommends. It seems that there might be more out there that I need to consider when I'm gearing up for a new school year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The book was really great and if you decide to read it and want someone to chat with, I'd be glad to be your buddy or you could also go to http://www.discussonline.org/castlebc0902/ (scroll to the end or you will end up reading peoples' comments about the end of the book first - thought that might be interesting in and of itself!). I guess thinking of how we present content and how we connect with students is an important part of planning - what the book said was that we take Gardner to places not intended or proven when we think the only way to reach kids is to teach through their intelligence - that if it isn't a natural fit with the content, then it's a waste of time. That said, reviewing our purposes and planning on a regular basis helps us to keep things on track for students and that can be best accomplished by hanging between "what I know already" and "what is too hard for me" to keep curiosity alive in the classroom.